WNYC AM went on
the air as a municipally owned and operated
non-commercial radio station on July 8,
1924. It began FM broadcasting in 1943 and
in 1961 launched the nation's first
municipally run television station WUHF
which later became WNYC-TV on UHF channel
31. In 1979 the non-profit WNYC Foundation
was created to help lighten the city's
financial burden of running the stations. In
1994 the City of New York decided to sell
the television station commercially and less
than a year later the administration of
Mayor Rudolph Giuliani agreed to sell the
radio stations to the non-profit WNYC
Foundation. The radio sale and transfer was
completed in January 1997.
continues today as the flagship broadcaster
of the NPR, PRI and APM radio networks and
draws upon its rich legacy as a long-time
public radio leader and innovator. WNYC AM
have been joined by WQXR-FM, New
Jersey Public Radio, the Jerome L. Greene
Performance Space and the WNYC Studios to
make up New York Public Radio.
All materials courtesy of
WNYC Archives Collection.
This page is highly recommended and makes
for many hours of interesting reading.